Saturday, September 19, 2009

Homework - School Story – Birds

The kids brought home school work the very first day of school and we usually try to sit down first thing with a snack and get it done.

This night however the neighbor kids already beat-feet to our yard and started playing. Cole then said he was going to do his homework, Jo followed. Yeah! They both sat right here until they finished, even with all the other kids shooting hoops, running by and so on.

A School Story.

Cole: Second grade is hard. We have a welcome back packet that we have to do and it does not look big but it is. It’s printed on both sides and it’s big. I can’t find the O, it looks like it’s on the purse or the wheel but it’s not and then I can’t find the W either.

(this would be a picture search where they have to find hidden letters and numbers)






Jo: Oh, is it the picture with the school bus and the man and girl?


Cole:
Yes.


Jo:
Oh, I finished that one, it was easy.



Cole: Well it’s NOT easy and I can’t find the O even!


Jo: I could help you but you don’t sit at my table.


Cole: You can’t help me because that would be cheating, Jo. Jo, that would be cheating.


(Jo changes the subject)






Jo: Hey, Mom, I have not lost a reminder yet and I have six stars. When I get 15 stars I get to be a Star Reacher!

Mom: So you have not lost a reminder yet? That’s great Jo!

(Student starts each day with 5 reminders (beads or something) and if they end each day with at least one reminder left they earn a star. At 15 stars they become a Star Reacher and will get special school privileges.)


Mom: Cole, how are you doing with reminders? Have you lost any?


Cole: (A loooong stare at Mom) Well, I lost one but I didn’t “loose” it. Someone found a reminder on our table and they said it was probably mine so I didn’t loose it because I didn’t have it but it was there.

Mom: So you lost a reminder or you did not loose one?

Cole: YOU DON’T GET IT. Sheesh. … YOU DON’T KNOW, YOU’RE NOT IN SECOND GRADE AND IT’S HARD, YOU JUST DON’T GET IT!


Mom: (smiling and laughing inside but showing concern and love on outside, I hope) Well, Cole, I’d like to understand but your really not explaining it to me. Help me understand?

Cole: Just never mind, you don’t get it.

(End of conversation pretty much)

Watching the Vaux’s Swifts!

A bunch of Oma’s co-workers met up to watch this event together. Some have seen this before and others experienced it for the first time. We try and catch it at least once a year as we eat a scoop of Prince Pucklers ice cream and enjoy a little family evening time.

While waiting around for the birds, Oma and I saw Cole trying out his new bed. You see our home has sold and we do not have a new home to go to yet.
Ok, we won’t be homeless but seeing Cole do this we laughed and thought it could look like our future home.



The Vaux Swifts heading
into the chimney.



A couple of hawks showed up for their evening meal of Vaux Swift which they got, this always adds to the excitement.





The chimney that the Swifts fly into is on the UO campus and this night the marching band was on the track field practicing. Jo was able to hang out here and watch along with listening!
Good times were had by all. Ok, probably not the two sacrificial Swifts but everyone else had a good time.

1 comment:

Marie & Norman said...

Wish we could have been with you for the chimney swifts...that is a great evening...